What is your personal vision for the craft malt community?
My vision for the craft malt community is that it continues to validate itself as a vital conduit between small, independent farmers and the craft brewing/distilling industries. In doing so, my hope is that malting barley acreage will continue to increase nationwide and provide a positive social/economic impact for the entire supply chain. I want the term “craft malt” to be synonymous with quality, creativity, and collaboration.
Why are you interested in serving on the Guild’s Board of Directors (BOD)?
I am running for re-election to continue the initiatives I have helped support as the Guild’s Treasurer. These include improving financial reporting to ensure the long-term viability of the Guild, continuing to review and increase benefits to Guild membership, and working to maintain a full-time Executive Director. If re-elected, I intend to work towards developing a scholarship program to support continuing education for Guild members.
What working groups are you currently involved with?
- Finance (Current working group chair)
- Governance & Elections (Current member)
What skills, resources, and connections do you feel you will be able to contribute to the Guild’s Board?
- Familiar with the operational aspects of the CMG having served on the board for the past two years
- Current member of Master Brewers Association of America, American Society of Brewing Chemists, and the Institute of Brewing & Distilling
What other long term volunteer opportunities have you been involved in, including service on other Boards? Please list and describe:
MSU Alumni Club of Grand Traverse – Board Member (4 years)
- Support fundraising activities related to the local alumni club scholarship fund, which provides scholarships to local area high school seniors planning to attend Michigan State University
- Help coordinate community outreach activities in the Grand Traverse region
What do you hope to get out of service on the Guild’s BOD?
To continue building lasting relationships with fellow guild members and support initiatives to increase and retain membership. To do so, it will be imperative to demonstrate the value to current and prospective members that come with being involved with the Craft Maltsters Guild.
What is one thing that your fellow Guild members should know about you?
I previously obtained the rank of Eagle Scout with the Boy Scouts of America.