The Craft Maltsters Guild began taking action on our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiative during the summer of 2021, partnering with Crafted For All to develop a mission statement and plan to support more diversity, equity, and inclusivity in the craft malting industry at large. From the start, these efforts have been led by a board-appointed task force featuring a mix of both board members and general members. We announced our DEI initiative and accompanying mission statement during a virtual Town Hall on November 3, 2021. Watch the recording here.
The Craft Maltsters Guild is committed to providing equitable access to education and opportunities in the craft malt industry to anyone interested. In line with this commitment, we offered our first scholarship opportunity in late 2021. A total of three scholarships were given with each including free virtual registration to our 2022 Craft Malt Conference and a complimentary one-year Individual Membership with our organization. 2022 recipients were profiled on the Guild news page and social media channels throughout the year.
- Jessi Flynn: Elevating the Sorghum Industry of Rwanda, August 30, 2022
- Jen Ireland: Learning the Science, Mastering the Craft, July 13, 2022
- Maany Ramanan: Innovating an Inclusive Future in Malting, April 19, 2022
In 2023 we expanded the scholarship program to include both in-person and virtual opportunities. The 2023 scholarship recipients were announced on February 15.
DEI In Action
Our continuing efforts in the DEI arena are curated below. Check back frequently for updates as we produce new content on a quarterly basis.
- Craft Maltsters Guild Awards Six Scholarships for 2023 Craft Malt Conference, February 15, 2023
- Task Force 2022 Year-In-Review, November 30, 2022
- Work From the Inside Out to Establish Inclusive Hiring Practices, June 15, 2022
- Writing An Inclusivity Statement for the Craft Maltsters Guild, March 16, 2022
- Craft Maltsters Celebrates Crafted For All, November 17, 2021
- Craft Maltsters Guild to Host Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Town Hall November 3rd, October 20, 2021
For more tools and information to help you in your journey to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and just organization, visit our DEI Resources page.