Job Description – Executive Director North American Craft Maltsters Guild
Hours : 20-25 hours per week
Salary : $25/hour
JOB DUTIES – The Executive Director (ED) of the Craft Maltster’s Guild manages all of the organization’s activities, events, finances, and projects. The ED will ensure the Guild maintains its mission, operates according to its bylaws, and operates within the confines of the law at all times. The mission of the Guild is to promote and sustain the tradition of craft malting in North America, provide services and resources to the Association’s members, and uphold the highest quality and safety standards for Craft Maltsters.
The position will likely transition to full-time within the first 12-24 months of employment. The duties listed below capture all of the projected tasks that will be completed at that time.
The ED will prioritize the growth and reach of the Guild in the following strategic areas:
Membership: Increase membership, member benefits, and member satisfaction.
Revenue: Diversify and increase Guild income through the administration of a successful annual conference, educational courses, grants, etc.
Industry Supply Chain: Increase the demand for quality, locally malted grains through marketing initiatives and educational efforts.
Quality and Safety: Aggregate best practices for craft maltsters and those involved in the craft malt supply chain to elevate the quality and safety of the product in an environmentally responsible manner.
The ED reports monthly to the Board of Directors of the Craft Maltsters Guild, who provide guidance and oversight to ensure the Guild maintains its mission and achieves its strategic goals.
- Proven project management experience.
- Proven communication and organizational skills.
- Industry experience in agriculture, malting, and/or brewing. All three preferred.
- Budgeting and revenue-generating experience.
- Grant writing experience.
- Event management skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to work independently.
- Commitment to safety and education about safety.
- Basic computer skills, Microsoft Office.
- Event planning and administration.
- Website management.
- Experience lobbying or advocating positive change for cause.
- Experience developing and/or teaching educational courses.
- Knowledge of organizational bylaws.
- Social media marketing
RESPONSIBILITIES – The position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Serve as the public face of the organization.
- Manage all interactions with members.
- Keep accurate records of membership and track metrics.
- Develop annual plan with strategies for member recruitment. Track recruitment.
- Schedule, organize, and promote the Guild’s bi-monthly webinar events.
- Plan (with Board input) and execute an annual survey of craft maltsters that hones in on the needs and development of the craft malt industry and supply chain. Publish report on findings.
- Update the website weekly with new events/meetings, member information, and update existing and new member content weekly. Work with website designer as needed.
- Cultivate relationships with members and other related organizations to learn about and share events and opportunities related to the industry.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key figures in the industry and government who can provide support to members or the Guild.
- Advocate for policy or regulation changes on behalf of current and future members when necessary.
- Organize annual conference for 200-300 people.
- Organize 1-2 continuing education courses per year.
- Track finances for organization.
- Provide reconciled monthly statement to the Board of Directors.
- Invoice and process payments from membership.
- Work with Board and Committees to develop an annual budget.
- Increase revenue for Guild annually.
- Manage Guild “virtual office” (phone, fax, email, P.O. Box) to maintain professional presence of the Guild. Answer or return phone calls/emails/letters, or determine that board must be consulted.
- Assist with scheduling, planning, and attending meetings of Guild committees.
- Manage working group/committee goals and utilize committee volunteers as needed.
- Prepare ED Report (one week prior) and attend monthly Board Meeting (third Thursday of the month). Post/archive committee and board minutes to webpage monthly.
- Assist in long-term planning.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties or responsibilities associated with the job. The ED and Guild Board of Directors will collaboratively update and adjust duties annually.
TRAVEL – Travel is required for this position. Attendance at the Craft Malt Conference, educational courses, and Craft Brewers Conference will be required on an annual basis. Additional events, such as individual state and/or regional events may also be included. Visits to member malthouses may also be included.
WORK ENVIRONMENT – This job is designed as a remote, home-based position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, large events, and driving. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, but can be occasionally moderate.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS – The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The North American Craft Maltster’s Guild does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to:
President, North American Craft Malsters Guild
Applications will be accepted until October 18th, 2019